Celebrating the
Class of 2023

Meet the valedictorians from UQ’s Faculty of Health and Behavioural Sciences

A long two-storey sandstone building overlooking a grass lawn and a wide concrete footpath

Meet some of the high achieving graduates recognised for their outstanding efforts in the fields of psychology, pharmacy, nursing, occupational therapy and dentistry.

A young woman with short brown hair wearing a graduation cap and gown, holding a diploma. She smiles to the camera while standing in front of a sandstone wall.

Image supplied/Casey Gilbert

Image supplied/Casey Gilbert

A young woman with short blonde hair in a white and blue UQ cheerleading uniform holding a sign that says 'Fight'

Image supplied/Casey Gilbert

Image supplied/Casey Gilbert

A young woman with a shaved head kneeling and patting a piglet in a petting zoo.

Image supplied/Casey Gilbert

Image supplied/Casey Gilbert

Casey Gilbert

Bachelor of Arts in the field of Psychology
School of Psychology

Image supplied/Casey Gilbert

What inspired you to study Psychology at UQ?

I have an identical twin sister, so from a young age I was fascinated by the brain and behaviour – how could we be so similar, and yet so different? However, it wasn’t until my grandmother was diagnosed with dementia that I really began to consider studying psychology. The last few years of her life were a scary and confusing time for my family. This inspired me to become a clinical neuropsychologist, as I could help other families through these difficult times by detecting cognitive impairment early and providing psychological support throughout disease progression.

What are you most passionate about?

I’m very passionate about people! The quest to understand people’s behaviour is what drove me into studying psychology, and the feeling of fulfilment that comes from working with others to improve their quality of life is what’s keeping me on this career path. I’m driven to help people understand more about psychology as a profession. The idea of therapy, assessment and research can be intimidating, so my goal is to make people feel as relaxed and comfortable as possible when they first interact with psychologists and researchers.

A woman with shoulder-length blonde hair wearing a white collared blouse. She is sitting on a grey lounge chair and smiling

Image supplied/Casey Gilbert

What does being awarded Valedictorian mean to you?

I feel so honoured and grateful to be awarded valedictorian. I put a large effort into both my academic work and my extracurricular commitments, but there was always a voice in the back of my head that questioned whether I did ‘enough’. Being awarded valedictorian is so special to me because it is a concrete acknowledgment of the effort that I put in and the results I achieved. Take that, imposter syndrome!

Image supplied/Casey Gilbert

What's next for you after graduation?

First, I’ll be prioritising rest and sleep! Eventually I’ll return to university to do a Masters of Clinical Neuropsychology, but I’m taking some time after graduation to build on my practical skills. I’ll be working as a research assistant at the UQ Neuropsychology Research Clinic, and I’ll continue working in my role as a receptionist at a psychology practice. I’m then taking time off to do some backpacking around Europe.

The top of a sandstone column with a carving of a shield. A cloudy blue sky and a blooming jacaranda tree are behind the column.

Priscilla Daniells

Bachelor of Pharmacy (Honours)
School of Pharmacy

Image supplied/Priscilla Daniells

What has been your most memorable moment at UQ?

My final placement block in Western Australia was dreamy! There were many unforgettable moments and people. My favourite part was the two weeks I did with WA Network of Alcohol and other Drug Agencies in a therapeutic community farm (residential rehabilitation service). I learned more than I could have dreamed of and built beautiful connections with the residents. I feel like this enhanced my practise in a way no amount of study can. Of course, placement in WA came with many weekend adventures to Kalbarri National Park, Shark Bay and the beautiful beaches of the Midwest region. I also scored an excellent quiche recipe from a resident!

Image supplied/Priscilla Daniells

Are there any major obstacles or hardships you have overcome throughout your studies?

I have grown so much with the obstacles I have faced. Moving out of home, from a farm to the big smoke took me two years to acclimatise! I had neighbours close by for the first time, I had to travel to be somewhere truly quiet, and I couldn’t understand why people didn’t smile back at me or want to talk to me on the bus. On top of that, I have survived a medium-distance relationship with my now-fiancé who was studying in Sydney! Being the medical one in the family, I also felt responsibility for my dad who has been unwell for quite some time amongst other family commitments. This year was the hardest year of my life to the point where each day was a triage of competing priorities. Each week would pass, and I would think, “wow, that was the hardest week of my life,” only to be superseded by another. In semester 2 of this year, I was worried I wouldn’t complete my assessments in time, but I am grateful to UQ for their Student Access Plans and support from my wonderful student advisor which gave me so much peace and flexibility to complete my studies. I am thrilled to be graduating as planned!

I am totally gobsmacked to represent my extraordinary peers in UQ's School of Pharmacy. Being Valedictorian was not on my radar at all, let alone something I believed I could possibly be nominated for. I was not primed to be tertiary educated. My household disparaged university study. My Dad is a carpenter and farmer who spells phonetically, and my Mum’s third language is English. When I lived at home, I had to be in bed with the light off by 9PM every night. I still managed an excellent OP. Being Valedictorian is a symbol of consistently pushing for more. Despite my imposter syndrome, I am so proud of my tenacious attitude because everything that I am now is something I have built from the ground up, and a reminder that I can achieve anything.

Priscilla on placement in Western Australia. Image supplied/Priscilla Daniells.

What’s next for you after graduation?

A break! I’m embarking on a six-week sabbatical filled with adventures and family time. In January, I will begin an amazing job as an Intern Pharmacist at Terry White Chemmart. The Pharmacists I will work with are phenomenal and extremely talented. I can’t wait to be trained under their expertise and pioneering spirit in the pharmacy landscape.

A smiling young woman with long black hair wearing a lavender blazer

Image supplied/Priscilla Daniells

Image supplied/Priscilla Daniells

Two young women holding a banner that says 'Queensland Pharmacy Students Association'

Image supplied/Priscilla Daniells

Image supplied/Priscilla Daniells

A young woman with long black hair standing behind the counter of a pharmacy.

A sandstone building behind a flowering jacaranda tree

Image: Natalie MacGregor

Image: Natalie MacGregor

Kate Vidler, a young woman with short blonde hair smiles to the camera

Image supplied/Kate Vidler

Image supplied/Kate Vidler

A group of six people standing in front of a Royal Flying Doctor Service plane

Kate on rural placement in Charleville. Image supplied/Kate Vidler.

Two young women wearing COVID masks sitting on office chairs at a long desk. One woman is posing with a thumbs up and the other with a peace sign

Kate on placement with Metro North Hospital. Image supplied/Kate Vidler.

Kate Vidler

Bachelor of Nursing
School of Nursing, Midwifery and Social Work

Image supplied/Kate Vidler

What inspired you to study Nursing at UQ?

I started studying Engineering at UQ due to a love of science and maths. However, when the pandemic hit it felt like all I ever saw on the news was how bad the situation was and how desperately they needed nursing staff. I’ve always been really involved in my community, and I found myself in a position where I could choose to actively help and contribute during a time of need through a degree in healthcare, and I took it.

What are you most passionate about?

Through completing my placements, I have found a deep passion for rural and remote nursing. I love the independence it allows and the uniqueness of the experience in itself. You find yourself far more involved with your community and are able to take the time to connect with your patients better, and I believe that’s such an important element of nursing.

This award acts as a testament not only to the amount of effort and dedication I have put into my degree but also to that of my family and friends who have supported me these past few years. It is one of my greatest achievements, and considering how amazing and accomplished my nursing cohort has been throughout, it is such an honour to have been chosen as their representative.

What’s next for you after graduation?

I have been lucky to have secured a position at Mt Isa Hospital as a graduate registered nurse. Within this position, I will be able to rotate around multiple hospital wards and work with members of the multidisciplinary team who specialise in remote healthcare. I am very excited about this experience and look forward to all the new learning opportunities I will come across!

Carvings of a lion, a mermaid and an open book on a sandstone column. Purple jacaranda flowers are visible behind the column.

Benz Halog

Bachelor of Occupational Therapy (Honours)
School of Health and Rehabilitation Sciences

Image supplied/Benz Halog

What inspired you to study Occupational Therapy at UQ?

I always knew that I wanted to study at UQ because of the world-class education provided however, I was unsure of what degree I wanted to study. I have a younger brother with Cerebral Palsy, and there have been many allied health professionals who have worked with him who have had a positive impact on our family. I wanted to become an allied health professional because I thought that maybe one day, I could be that person for children and families like mine. I chose to study occupational therapy as I felt that it was the broadest option and I would have many interesting pathways to pursue in the future, which I highly valued. I’m so lucky I chose occupational therapy because I feel like it’s the perfect job for me – I can’t even imagine myself in another position now!

Occupational therapy conference organised by Benz and students. Image supplied/Benz Halog.

What do you believe it takes to become valedictorian?

I think passion for what you do as well as a love for your peers and the people you work with is important. This passion and love really motivated me to get involved in as much as I could during my time at uni. Saying yes to being involved in leadership and research opportunities not only aided my study, but also helped me build meaningful connections with my cohort and the academic staff who greatly influenced who I am today!

Being awarded valedictorian was completely unexpected, and it’s not something I could have ever imagined for myself a few years ago. I absolutely love what I study and what I do, which is a testament to my amazing peers and the academic staff who have immensely inspired me throughout my degree. This is my greatest accomplishment to date. It still feels unbelievable, and I feel so humbled and lucky to have been recognised with this honour.

Image supplied/Benz Halog

What’s next for you after graduation?

I am going on a big Europe trip with my loved ones to celebrate my graduation, then I will return to begin my new career as an occupational therapist next year! I don’t exactly know where yet, but I’m excited to see where I end up working clinically and I’m keen to pursue further research or teaching later in my career too.

A young smiling woman with long straight black hair

Image supplied/Benz Halog

Image supplied/Benz Halog

A large group of young people huddled together and smiling on a lawn

Five young woman crouching around a mediums-sized dog, which is wearing a therapy dog bandana

Image supplied/Benz Halog

Image supplied/Benz Halog

A purple jacaranda flower with a sandstone building behind it
A selfie of Gabrielle Starr, a young woman with light brown hair, smiling

Image supplied/Gabrielle Starr

Image supplied/Gabrielle Starr

Three people wearing lab coats, gloves, masks and safety goggles posing with their thumbs up in a lab

Image supplied/Gabrielle Starr

Image supplied/Gabrielle Starr

Eighteen smiling people wearing scrubs in a healthcare setting

Image supplied/Gabrielle Starr

Image supplied/Gabrielle Starr

Gabrielle Starr

Bachelor of Dental Science (Honours)
School of Dentistry

Image supplied/Gabrielle Starr

What inspired you to study Dentistry at UQ?

One of my first jobs during high school was as a dental assistant in a family practice. I loved the fast-paced, people-focussed nature of dentistry, and the dentist I worked for encouraged me to pursue a career in healthcare. Growing up in country New South Wales where winter temperatures often fall below freezing, I was keen for a change of scenery, so I made the move up to Queensland and started my Arts/Science degree at UQ in 2013. Upon graduating my first degree, I could think of nowhere I’d rather pursue my dreams of studying dentistry than at UQ - and here we are!

What are you most passionate about?

In terms of my career, I’m very passionate about providing more equitable healthcare access to regional communities. Australians living in regional and remote areas are under-served by even the most basic, preventative services in our healthcare system, like mental health or dental. This has always struck me as deeply unfair – you shouldn’t have to suffer from an easily treatable condition just because of where you live. I also strongly believe we need to improve the quality and accessibility of public education, and I’d be interested in combining these passions in a public health role someday.

Image supplied/Gabrielle Starr

I couldn’t be more honoured! Being awarded Valedictorian was something I wrote on a list of ‘long-shot’ aspirations at the start of my studies and it is surreal to have it come to fruition. I feel like I’ve experienced just about everything UQ has to offer, and I couldn’t think of a more perfect end to my academic career than having the opportunity to address my fellow graduates at our ceremony.

Image supplied/Gabrielle Starr

What’s next for you after graduation?

Next year I’m moving back to country NSW to work as a dentist in my hometown! Serendipitously, the family practice I worked at in high school had an opening and I’m incredibly excited to work alongside the dentist who initially inspired my dental journey. I’m very much looking forward to improving and developing my skills and providing high-quality dental care to a regional community.