Meet the Pharmacy teaching team

17 Jun 2020

The School of Pharmacy is full of engaging teachers and researchers that students will learn from and work with during their degrees. With on-campus interaction currently unavailable, we've profiled some Pharmacy academics so you can get to know them better.

Dr Sam Hollingworth

What courses do you teach?

In 2020 I'm teaching:

• PHRM3031 Social and Professional Aspects of Pharmacy B1;
  • PHRM3032 Social and Professional Aspects of Pharmacy B2;
  • PHRM4080 Independent Research Project;
  • PHRM7071 Masters Research Project; and 
  • PHIP7142 Post-registration Life Cycle Management.

All courses are now online for this year.

Why are these courses so important for students studying pharmacy?

These courses are a mix of undergraduate courses learning about evidence-based practice and clinical study designs (very useful for understanding all the new evidence about COVID-19) and the Australian health care system. They also include the fourth year’s research project, the postgraduate Master of Clinical Pharmacy research project, and one of the foundation courses in the Master of Pharmaceutical Industry Practice.

Are you currently working on any research?

I have two main research areas. One is looking at the use of medicines in populations and their adverse effects (pharmacoepidemiology). The other research focus is health technology assessment, especially in low resource setting (e.g. of medicines) asking three main questions:

• Is it effective?
  • Is it good value for money?
  • Can we afford it?

I am also writing a blog about COVID-19 in Nigeria with colleagues in Nigeria and London.

Have you made any new habits to help you through the COVID-19 isolation period?

Not really, I've stuck to pretty much the same schedule as before, but I have converted commuting time to work time!

Do you have any tips you can share for students for online study?

Make this period as normal as you can. Keep up with your lectures and tutorials. Make sure you manage your time so that you are not late for assessments. Put them in your diary so you don’t miss them!

What are you looking forward to most once COVID-19-related restrictions are fully lifted?

Travel (local, interstate and overseas) and dining out with family and friends.

Dr Peter Moyle

What courses do you teach?

I coordinate and teach third year PHRM3011 and PHRM3012 Quality Use of Medicines, as well as a number of other pharmacy-specific science courses.

It provides the core skills they’ll need for the provision of medicines and advice in many pharmacy environments, from community and hospital to provision of nursing home services and medicine reviews.

I work on the use of synthetic peptides and recombinant proteins for optimizing the delivery of therapeutic molecules, for the treatment of diabetes and obesity, to DNA/RNA-based gene therapies, sortaseas well as the development of new vaccine development platforms.

Drinking tea. I didn’t have any decent coffee at home, so it was my contribution to overcoming COVID-19 by staying at home and only going out if it is absolutely essential.

Keep to a schedule. It makes it easier, and less stressful to organize your studies than waiting until the end. 

Also, speak up and ask questions when you can, like in tutorials. We don’t always know if students understand, so being asked questions helps us improve our teaching. It’s a great opportunity to talk and network with others during this time.

Being able to meet the students, in particular the third year cohort, so I can learn who I am communicating with. That, and to give lectures in the lecture theatre.

Judith Burrows

What courses do you teach?

I teach into and am the course coordinator for PHRM 4011 Integrated Patient-Centred Care 1. I interact with students during lectures and case presentations as well as tutorials to provide guidance on skill development.

Why is this course so important for students studying pharmacy?

This course brings together all the learning from the first three years of the pharmacy program to be able to comprehensively review the medicines for complex patients.

I completed my PhD in 2019 which was about patient-centredness in pharmacy practice, and am still writing papers related to my research.

I have previously taught into the postgraduate clinical pharmacy program, which was delivered completely online, so I am very familiar with teaching in that environment. The only difference is that I am working from home, which cuts my commute time.

Doing my PhD was quite an isolating experience at times, so I have had lots of practice!.  So I have adjusted really well to the social isolation of working from home. My old habits of regular triathlon training continue, which has been great. I am a very self-motivated and positive person, which helps.

Stay motivated with a clear vision of what you want to achieve and don't let any obstacles get in your way.

I am looking forward to participating in triathlons again and travelling overseas!!!